Looking for a dessert to double as décor at your Halloween bash? These ruby slipper cupcakes are the perfect treat. They’re surprisingly simple and you can use any chocolate cupcake recipe and whipped frosting you like—even if they’re not from scratch, your secret’s safe with the witch.
You will need: 1 batch of chocolate cupcakes, 1 batch of vanilla frosting, Black and Lime Green Polka Dot Cupcake Liners, Electric Green Food Coloring Gel,
Soft Green Sanding Sugar, Medium Petal Pastry Tip, Black and White Paper Straws, 1 sheet of Red Glitter Foam
1. While your cupcakes are baking, draw a pair of tiny shoes (about 1/2” tall) on the back of your glitter foam for each cupcake. Cut out the shoes.
2. Each paper straw will make two sets of legs. Cut each straw in four equal pieces, to make as many legs as you need. With a dab of hot glue secure each shoe to the front of each straw leg.
3. Prepare your icing by adding 4-5 drops of electric green food gel. Put your frosting in a pastry bag, or plastic bag, fitted with a petal tip.
4. With the thin side of the petal tip pointed toward the edge of the cupcake, make overlapping ruffles and fill the cupcake. Don’t worry about making them perfect! She’s a crashed witch.
5. Sprinkle the frosting with matching sanding sugar for your witch’s sparkly skirt.
6. Insert the straws about 1/2” apart.
7. Add a second liner around your cupcake to give the witch’s skirt a billowing effect.
Serve and bask in the praise of your guests!
Photography, design and styling by Alison Faulkner.