These cupcakes are a little on the gory side, but the cuteness of the tiny hatchets offset anything too scary about them. Any flavor cupcake or icing will work perfectly. We used chocolate, but red velvet with cream cheese icing would be delicious too. Presenting… So I Married an Ax Murderer cupcakes.
RED CANDY COATING RECIPE
1 Cup of Sugar
6 Tablespoons of water
¼ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon red food coloring
In a small saucepan bring the sugar, water and corn syrup to a boil. Add the food coloring and reduce to a simmer. Stir on and off for 20 minutes. To check if your candy is ready drop some of the liquid into room temp water, if it holds its shape you’re good to go.
1. Bake your cupcakes. While your cupcakes are cooling, prepare the candy coating.
2. When your candy is ready, use a spoon to drop tablespoon size splotches of candy on the parchment paper or slip-mat. Let the candy dribble and pool to the sides like blood at a crime scene.
3. Quickly dip each hatchet in a little bit of candy coating, and then nestle the hatchet in the center of a pool of candy. This will hold the hatchet upright.
4. Let the candy cool.
5. Once your cupcakes have cooled ice them with an offset spatula or butter knife.
6. Gently pick up a splotch of candy coating and press it into your frosted cupcake.
7. Use the extra drops of candy as little blood drops on your serving platter.
Photography, design and styling by Alison Faulkner.